Categories of hosting services
A hosting solution concerns hoarding and/or sharing specific web content on a hosting server run by a website hosting vendor. There are different categories of hosting services used for different purposes, so let's take a look at these. In that way, you can pick what you want, based on whether you wish to have a blog, mail aliases, or to share files with comrades and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by some vendors, which permits you to share immense files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its only aim is to share files, since it does not offer web page uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a roster of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php website files in your browser. Free-of-cost file hosting plans often include ads next to the download links, while a timer compels you to await a specific amount of time to perceive them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you get a paid file hosting package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limit with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a completely inappropriate interpretation of the literal meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would apportion the workload between different packs of web servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving miscellaneous hosting services (electronic mail, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web space hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is merely a variety of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; specific firms provide a hosting solution for images solely. This hosting variant is good if you desire to share a vast number of pictures with buddies or acquaintances since the solution is mostly free of charge. You will obtain a random link for every picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for websites.
- Email hosting: a service devoted to managing your e-mail box accounts. Some corporations offer web page hosting solutions for web sites, but do not supply an email solution. If you would like to set up an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to keep a site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you want. You can set up email address accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a particular video clip, or you can embed the video in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of utilizing this method instead of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video creates a particular amount of CPU load, so with a couple of videos and several hundred web page viewers, you may have difficulty with your web page hosting quotas. Embedding the video will allow you to run as many video clips as you would like without bothering about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you need if you wish to possess a web site. To a certain degree, it involves all of the aforementioned hosting types since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can set up databases and e-mail addresses, upload videos, and so on. At Heartland Web Hosting, for instance, you can see web hosting and dedicated web hosting packages that permit you to have all of the aforementioned services in one single place. There may be restrictions depending on the form of hosting solution that you've chosen - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web page hosting plan may be better or worse in comparison with the routine email/file/video/image hosting packages that are created for particular web content solely.